Houseparty Terms of Service
Last Updated: June 11, 2018
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) are between you and Life On Air, Inc. (“Life On Air”). These Terms govern your access to and use of our Houseparty services, including our Houseparty mobile applications (“Apps”), our websites, including the website located at http://houseparty.com (collectively, the “Services”).
ARBITRATION NOTICE: UNLESS YOU OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE YOU FIRST AGREE TO THESE TERMS BY FOLLOWING THE OPT-OUT PROCEDURE SPECIFIED IN SECTION 12 (“DISPUTE RESOLUTION”), AND EXCEPT FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DISPUTES DESCRIBED IN SECTION 12, YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND LIFE ON AIR WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU ARE WAIVING YOUR RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS ACTION OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING.
1. Basic Terms
You may use the Services only if you can form a binding contract with Life On Air and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. If you are accepting these Terms and using the Services on behalf of a company, organization, government, or other legal entity, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to do so. You may use the Services only in compliance with these Terms and all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations.
Agreement to Terms
Your access to and use of the Services is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. By accessing or using the Services you agree to be bound by these Terms. The Services that Life On Air provides are always evolving and the form and nature of the Services may change from time to time without prior notice to you. In addition, Life On Air may stop (permanently or temporarily) providing the Services (or any features within the Services) to you or to users generally and may not be able to provide you with prior notice. We also retain the right to create limits on use and storage at our sole discretion at any time without prior notice to you.
If you want to use certain features of the Services you’ll have to create an account and become a registered user (“User”). It’s important that you provide us with accurate, complete and up-to-date information for your account and you agree to update such information, as needed, to keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you don’t, we might have to suspend or terminate your account. We reserve the right to force forfeiture of any username for any reason.
You are responsible for safeguarding the password or credentials that you use to access the Services and for any activities or actions under your account. We encourage you to use “strong” passwords (passwords that use a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols) with your account. Life On Air cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with the above requirements. You’re responsible for all activities that occur under your account, whether or not you know about them.
The Services may include advertisements, which may be targeted to the content or information on the Services, queries made through the Services, or other information. The types and extent of advertising by Life On Air on the Services are subject to change. In consideration for Life On Air granting you access to and use of the Services, you agree that Life On Air and its subsidiary, third party providers and partners may place such advertising on the Services or in connection with the display of content or information from the Services whether submitted by you or others.
As part of providing you the Services, we may need to provide you with certain communications, such as service announcements and administrative messages. These communications are considered part of the Services and your account, which you may not be able to opt-out from receiving.
3. Using the Services
The Services enable you to participate in group video chats with and send messages to other Users. When you use the App, you will be able to join a video chat with a User with whom you are connected on the Services (each a “Connection”). You can add Connections by inviting them to connect on the Services.
Once you are in a video chat, your Connections and any other participants’ Connections are able to join the same video chat session. If you wish to limit your video chat to your direct Connections, you can lock your video chat session. If you do not lock your video chat session, a friend of someone with whom you are video chatting may join that current video chat session, with or without an invite from you and whether or not you know him or her. However, if a User that isn’t your Connection is about to join a video chat session you are in, you’ll receive a notice that such a participant is joining the session. The Services may also suggest that you invite a Connection that you and one or more participants in a video chat session have in common to join a video chat session.
If you choose to import your personal contacts from your mobile device we will access your personal contacts in order to identify Users that you may know that are using the Services and to provide other Users with suggestions for potential Connections based on mutual contacts.
We may offer you the opportunity to invite your Connections or other contacts to join your group video chats or otherwise enjoy the Services. If you choose to invite one or more of your Connections or contacts using text messaging (SMS) or another communications app we may suggest content for the message (which you may be able to edit in certain instances). You may send invitations via the messaging functionality on your device or through text messages generated by the Services. If you choose to send such invitations, you represent to Life On Air that the recipients of such invitations have consented to receive such messages from you, and that those recipients do not consider such messages unwanted or unsolicited.
4. Content On the Services
For purposes of these Terms: (i) “Content” means text, graphics, images, music, software, audio, video, works of authorship of any kind, and information or other materials that are posted, generated, provided or otherwise made available through the Services; and (ii) “User Content” means any Content that you provide or import to be made available through the Services. Content includes, without limitation, User Content.
All Content, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who originated such Content. We may, but are not required to monitor or control the Content posted via the Services and we cannot take responsibility for such Content. Any use or reliance on any Content or materials posted via the Services or obtained by you through the Services is at your own risk.
We do not endorse, support, represent or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any Content or communications posted via the Services or endorse any opinions expressed via the Services. You understand that by using the Services, you may be exposed to Content that might be offensive, harmful, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate, or in some cases, postings that have been mislabeled or are otherwise deceptive. Under no circumstances will Life On Air be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via the Services or broadcast elsewhere.
5. Rights in the Services and Content
Life On Air does not claim any ownership rights in any User Content. You retain your rights to any User Content you submit, post or display on or through the Services. Subject to your ownership of your User Content, all right, title, and interest in and to the Services and Content are and will remain the exclusive property of Life On Air and its licensors (including other Users). The Services are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of both the United States and foreign countries. Life On Air reserves all rights not expressly granted in these Terms.
Rights in Content Granted by You
In order to make the Services available to you and other Users, Life On Air needs a license from you. By submitting, posting or displaying User Content on or through the Services, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute such Content in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed). Notwithstanding the foregoing and any other provision in these Terms, the content of your video chat sessions will only be used by us for the purpose of providing you the Services and for no other purpose.
We may modify or adapt your Content in order to transmit, display or distribute it over computer networks and in various media and/or make changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to any requirements or limitations of any networks, devices, services or media.
You are responsible for your use of the Services, for any User Content you provide, and for any consequences thereof, including the use of your User Content by other Users with whom you participate in a group video chat. You should only provide User Content that you are comfortable sharing with others under these Terms. Life On Air will not be responsible or liable for any use of your User Content by Life On Air in accordance with these Terms. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the rights granted herein to any User Content that you submit. You also represent and warrant that neither your User Content, nor your use and provision of your User Content to be made available through the Services, nor any use of your User Content by Life On Air on or through the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
Rights in Content Granted by Life On Air
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Life On Air grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and view the Content posted by other Users via the Services solely in connection with your permitted use of the Services and solely for your personal and non-commercial purposes.
You acknowledge and agree that any feedback, comments, or suggestions you may provide regarding Life On Air, or the Services is entirely voluntary and we will be free to use such feedback, comments or suggestions as we see fit and without any obligation to you.
6. Life On Air Rights
Rights in App Granted by Life On Air
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Life On Air grants you a limited non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to download and install a copy of the App on any mobile device or computer that you own or control and to run such copy of the App solely for your own personal, non-commercial purposes. You may not copy the App, except for making a reasonable number of copies for backup or archival purposes. Except as expressly permitted in these Terms, you may not: (i) copy, modify or create derivative works based on the App; (ii) distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend or rent the App to any third party; (iii) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the App; or (iv) make the functionality of the App available to multiple users through any means. Life On Air reserves all rights in and to the App not expressly granted to you under these Terms.
Additional Terms for App Store Apps
If you accessed or downloaded the App from the Apple App Store, then you agree to use the App only: (i) on an Apple-branded product or device that runs iOS (Apple’s proprietary operating system software); and (ii) as permitted by the “Usage Rules” set forth in the Apple Store Terms of Service.
If you accessed or downloaded the App from any app store or distribution platform (like the Apple App Store or Google Play) (each, an “App Provider”), then you acknowledge and agree that:
- These Terms are concluded between you and Life On Air, and not with App Provider, and that, as between Life On Air and the App Provider, Life On Air, is solely responsible for the App.
- App Provider has no obligation to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the App.
- In the event of any failure of the App to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify App Provider and App Provider will refund the purchase price for the App to you (if applicable) and, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, App Provider will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App. Any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs or expenses attributable to any failure of an App to conform to any warranty will be the sole responsibility of Life On Air.
- App Provider is not responsible for addressing any claims you have or any claims of any third party relating to the App or your possession and use of the App, including, but not limited to: (i) product liability claims; (ii) any claim that the App fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (iii) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation.
- In the event of any third-party claim that the App or your possession and use of the App infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights, Life On Air will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement and discharge of any such intellectual property infringement claim to the extent required by these Terms.
- App Provider and its subsidiaries are third-party beneficiaries of these Terms as related to your license of the App, and that, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of these Terms, App Provider will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms as related to your license of the App against you as a third party beneficiary thereof.
- You must also comply with all applicable third-party terms of service when using the App.
- You agree to comply with all U.S. and foreign export laws and regulations to ensure that neither the App nor any technical data related thereto nor any direct product thereof is exported or re-exported directly or indirectly in violation of, or used for any purposes prohibited by, such laws and regulations. By using the App you represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
7. Restrictions On Content And Use Of The Services
We reserve the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to distribute any Content on the Services and to suspend and or terminate Users or reclaim usernames without liability to you.
You may NOT post Content that:
- Impersonates another person or entity in a manner that does or is intended to mislead, confuse, or deceive others;
- Violates the rights of a third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, and publicity rights;
- Promotes discrimination, hatred or harm against any individual or group;
- Is a direct and specific threat of violence to others;
- Is defamatory, obscene or pornographic;
- Is furtherance of illegal activities; or
- Is harassing, abusive, or constitutes spam.
You may not do any of the following while accessing or using the Services:
- access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Services, Life On Air’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Life On Air providers;
- probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any system or network or breach or circumvent any security or authentication measures;
- access or search or attempt to access or search the Services by any means (automated or otherwise) other than through our currently available, published interfaces that are provided by Life On Air (and only pursuant to those terms and conditions), unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with Life On Air (NOTE: scraping the Services without the prior consent of Life On Air is expressly prohibited);
- forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or posting, or in any way use the Services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information;
- interfere with, or disrupt, (or attempt to do so), the access of any User, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, mail-bombing the Services, or by scripting the creation of Content in such a manner as to interfere with or create an undue burden on the Services.
- use, display, mirror or frame the Services or any individual element within the Services, Life On Air’s name, any Life On Air trademark, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without Life On Air’s express written consent;
- avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Life On Air or any of Life On Air’s providers or any other third party (including another User) to protect the Services or Content;
- attempt to access or search the Services or Content or download Content from the Services through the use of any engine, software, tool, agent, device or mechanism (including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools or the like) other than the software and/or search agents provided by Life On Air or other generally available third-party web browsers;
- send any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, email, junk mail, spam, chain letters or other form of solicitation;
- use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a Life On Air trademark, logo URL or product name without Life On Air’s express written consent;
- use the Services or Content, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose or for the benefit of any third party or in any manner not permitted by these Terms;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Services or Content;
- collect or store any personally identifiable information from the Services from other Users of the Services without their express permission;
- violate any applicable law or regulation; or
- encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
8. DMCA/Copyright Policy
Life On Air respects copyright law and expects its Users to do the same. It is Life On Air’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances Users who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders. Please see Life On Air’s Copyright Policy, for further information.
9. Ending These Terms
The Terms will continue to apply until terminated by either you or Life On Air as follows. You may end your legal agreement with Life On Air at any time for any reason by deactivating your account and discontinuing your use of the Services. In order to deactivate your account, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may suspend or terminate your account or cease providing you with all or part of the Services at any time for any reason, including, but not limited to, if we reasonably believe: (i) you have violated these Terms, (ii) you create risk or possible legal exposure for us; or (iii) our provision of the Services to you is no longer commercially viable. We will make reasonable efforts to notify you by the email address associated with your account or through the Services the next time you attempt to access your account. In all such cases, the Terms shall terminate, including, without limitation, your license to use the Services, except that the following sections shall continue to apply: 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13.
Nothing in this section shall affect Life On Air’s rights to change, limit or stop the provision of the Services without prior notice, as provided above in Section 1.
You will indemnify and hold harmless Life On Air and its officers, directors, employee and agents, from and against any claims, disputes, demands, liabilities, damages, losses, and costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to or use of the Services or Content, (ii) your User Content, or (iii) your violation of these Terms.
11. Disclaimers And Limitations Of Liability
Please read this section carefully since it limits the liability of Life On Air and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, related companies, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, partners, and licensors (collectively, the “Life On Air Entities”). Each of the subsections below only applies up to the maximum extent permitted under applicable law. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties or the limitation of liability in contracts, and as a result the contents of this section may not apply to you. Nothing in this section is intended to limit any rights you may have which may not be lawfully limited.
The Services are Available “AS-IS”
Your access to and use of the Services or any Content is at your own risk. You understand and agree that the Services is provided to you on an “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” basis. Without limiting the foregoing, LIFE ON AIR ENTITIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
Life On Air Entities make no warranty and disclaim all responsibility and liability for: (i) the completeness, accuracy, availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Services or any Content; (ii) any harm to your computer system, loss of data, or other harm that results from your access to or use of the Services, or any Content (including without limitation any unlawful use of the Services); (iii) the deletion of, or the failure to store or to transmit, any Content and other communications maintained by the Services; (iv) whether the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure, or error-free basis. No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained from Life On Air Entities or through the Services, will create any warranty not expressly made herein.
The Services may contain links to third-party websites or resources. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible or liable for: (i) the availability or accuracy of such websites or resources; or (ii) the content, products, or services on or available from such websites or resources. Links to such websites or resources do not imply any endorsement by Life On Air Entities of such websites or resources or the content, products, or services available from such websites or resources. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from your use of any such websites or resources.
Limitation of Liability
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE LIFE ON AIR ENTITIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, OR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUES, WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, USE, GOOD-WILL, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, RESULTING FROM (i) YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES; (ii) ANY CONDUCT OR CONTENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF OTHER USERS OR THIRD PARTIES; (iii) ANY CONTENT OBTAINED FROM THE SERVICES; OR (iv) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, USE OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR CONTENT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE LIFE ON AIR ENTITIES EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS (U.S. $100.00) OR THE AMOUNT YOU PAID LIFE ON AIR, IF ANY, IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS FOR THE SERVICES GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM. THE LIMITATIONS OF THIS SUBSECTION SHALL APPLY TO ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, STATUTE, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT THE LIFE ON AIR ENTITIES HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH DAMAGE, AND EVEN IF A REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
12. Dispute Resolution
These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws provisions.
Agreement to Arbitrate
You and Life On Air agree that any dispute, claim or controversy arising out of or relating to these Terms or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof or the use of the Services or Content (collectively, “Disputes”) will be settled by binding arbitration, except that each party retains the right: (i) to bring an individual action in small claims court (a “Small Claims Action”) and (ii) to seek injunctive or other equitable relief in a court of competent jurisdiction to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party’s copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights (an “IP Protection Action”). The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any IP Protection Action will be the state and federal courts located in the Northern District of California and each of the parties hereto waives any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts. Unless you timely provide Life On Air with an Arbitration Opt-out Notice (as defined below in the Section titled “Your Choices”), you acknowledge and agree that you and Life On Air are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action or representative proceeding. Further, unless both you and Life On Air otherwise agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If this specific paragraph is held unenforceable, then the entirety of this “Dispute Resolution” section will be deemed void. Except as provided in the preceding sentence, this “Dispute Resolution” section will survive any termination of these Terms.
The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (the “AAA Rules”) then in effect, except as modified by this “Dispute Resolution” section. (The AAA Rules are available at https://www.adr.org/mediation or by calling the AAA at 1–800–778–7879.) The Federal Arbitration Act will govern the interpretation and enforcement of this Section.
A party who desires to initiate arbitration must provide the other party with a written Demand for Arbitration as specified in the AAA Rules. (The AAA provides a form Demand for Arbitration.) The arbitrator will be either a retired judge or an attorney licensed to practice law and will be selected by the parties from the AAA’s roster of arbitrators. If the parties are unable to agree upon an arbitrator within seven (7) days of delivery of the Demand for Arbitration, then the AAA will appoint the arbitrator in accordance with the AAA Rules.
Arbitration Location and Procedure
Unless you and Life On Air otherwise agree, the arbitration will be conducted in the county where you reside. If your claim does not exceed $10,000, then the arbitration will be conducted solely on the basis of the documents that you and Life On Air submit to the arbitrator, unless you request a hearing or the arbitrator determines that a hearing is necessary. If your claim exceeds $10,000, your right to a hearing will be determined by the AAA Rules. Subject to the AAA Rules, the arbitrator will have the discretion to direct a reasonable exchange of information by the parties, consistent with the expedited nature of the arbitration.
The arbitrator will render an award within the time frame specified in the AAA Rules. The arbitrator’s decision will include the essential findings and conclusions upon which the arbitrator based the award. Judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator’s award of damages must be consistent with the terms of the “Limitation of Liability” section above as to the types and amounts of damages for which a party may be held liable. The arbitrator may award declaratory or injunctive relief only in favor of the claimant and only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the claimant’s individual claim. If you prevail in arbitration you will be entitled to an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses, to the extent provided under applicable law. Life On Air will not seek, and hereby waives all rights it may have under applicable law to recover, attorneys’ fees and expenses if it prevails in arbitration.
Your responsibility to pay any AAA filing, administrative and arbitrator fees will be solely as set forth in the AAA Rules. However, if your claim for damages does not exceed $75,000, Life On Air will pay all such fees unless the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in your Demand for Arbitration was frivolous or was brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)).
Notwithstanding the provisions of the “General Terms” section below regarding changes to these Terms, if Life On Air changes this “Dispute Resolution” section after the date you first accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms), you may reject any such change by sending us written notice (including by email to email@example.com) within 30 days of the date such change became effective, as indicated in the “Last Updated” date above or in the date of Life On Air’s email to you notifying you of such change. By rejecting any change, you are agreeing that you will arbitrate any Dispute between you and Life On Air in accordance with the provisions of this “Dispute Resolution” section as of the date you first accepted these Terms (or accepted any subsequent changes to these Terms).
If you don’t want to settle Disputes by arbitration as described above, you will notify Life On Air by sending us written notice (including by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) telling us that you don’t want to use arbitration, within thirty (30) days of the date on which you agreed to these Terms (such notice, an “Arbitration Opt-out Notice”), and consequently you agree that all Disputes will be resolved exclusively by a court located in San Francisco, California. If you don’t provide Life On Air with an Arbitration Opt-out Notice within the thirty (30) day period, you will be deemed to have knowingly and intentionally waived your right to litigate any dispute except for a Small Claims Action and an IP Protection Action as set forth above.
13. General Terms
The failure of Life On Air to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be deemed a waiver of such right or provision. In the event that any provision of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable, then that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary, and the remaining provisions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect. Life On Air’s failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of such right or provision. The waiver of any such right or provision will be effective only if in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of Life On Air. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms, the exercise by either party of any of its remedies under these Terms will be without prejudice to its other remedies under these Terms or otherwise. You may not assign or transfer these Terms, by operation of law or otherwise, without Life On Air’s prior written consent. Any attempt by you to assign or transfer these Terms, without such consent, will be null. Life On Air may freely assign or transfer these Terms without restriction. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
We may revise these Terms from time to time; the most current version will always be at https://houseparty.com/privacy/. If the revision, in our sole discretion, is material we will notify you via email to the email associated with your account or through the Services. If you do not wish to be bound by any such revisions to the Terms, you must end these Terms with us as set forth in Section 9 above. By continuing to access or use the Services after those revisions become effective, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms.
These Services are operated and provided by Life On Air. If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us at:
Effective Date of Current Policy: June 11, 2018
3. Transparency / Notice—Types of Personal Information We Collect and How We Use It
The types of Personal Information we may collect (directly from you or from Third-Party sources) and our privacy practices depend on the nature of the relationship you have with us and the requirements of applicable law. Some of the ways that we may collect Personal Information include:
- You may provide Personal Information directly to us through interacting with the Services, signing up for an account, participating in surveys, during events such as sweepstakes, and requesting Services, or information.
- As you navigate the Services, certain passive information may also be collected about your visit, including through cookies and similar technologies as described below.
We endeavor to collect only that information which is relevant for the purposes of Processing. Below are the ways we collect Personal Information and how we use it.
3.1 Types of Personal Information We Collect
Life on Air collects Personal Information regarding its current, prospective, and former clients, customers, Users, visitors, and guests (collectively “Individuals”).
- Information You Provide Directly to Us. When you use the Services or engage in certain activities, such as registering for an Account with us, responding to surveys, requesting Services or information, or contacting us directly, we may ask you to provide some or all of the following types of information:
- Communications with Us. We may collect Personal Information from you such as name, email address, phone number or mailing address when you choose to request information about our Services, register for an account or a promotion that we may offer from time to time, request to receive customer or technical support, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Contacts & Phone Numbers
- When you give us authorization, we will access your contacts information from your address book on your mobile device or computer (“Contacts”). We will use your Contacts in order to identify other Users that you may know and to provide you or other Users with suggestions for other Users with whom you or they may want to connect or invite to join a video chat session. We may also use your Contacts with your authorization if you choose to invite your friends to sign up for the Services.
- For example, the Services may indicate a Connection that you and one or more participants in a video chat session have in common which you may want to invite to join a video chat session. The Services may also suggest to another User a potential Connection based on mutual contacts.
- In addition, if you use your phone number to verify your account, we may use your phone number to suggest to you other Users to add as Connections or suggest you as a potential Connection to other Users based on the Contacts they upload.
- Note, however, that we will never share your phone number or the phone numbers of third parties in your Contacts with anyone else.
- Registration for Sweepstakes or Contests. Occasionally, Life on Air may run sweepstakes and contests. We ask those who enter in the sweepstakes or contests to provide contact information (e.g., an e-mail address). If you participate in a sweepstakes or contest, your contact information may be used to reach you about the sweepstakes or contest, and for other promotional, marketing and business purposes. In accordance with the laws of your jurisdiction, as a participant you will have the opportunity to opt-out of any communications that are not related to awarding prizes.
- Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically through our Services or other methods of web analysis, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising identifiers, MAC address, IMEI, and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type and language, geo-location information, hardware type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, the amount of time you spend on each page, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, and other actions taken through use of the Services such as preferences.
- Information Submitted Via Services. You agree that Life on Air is free to use the content of any communications ubmitted by you via the Services, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques, or know-how disclosed therein, for any purpose including developing, manufacturing, and/or marketing goods or Services. We will not release your name or otherwise publicize the fact that you submitted materials or other information to us unless: (a) you grant us permission to do so; (b) we first send notice to you that the materials or other information you submit to a particular part of a Service will be published or otherwise used with your name on it; or (c) we are required to do so by law.
- Information from Other Sources. We may receive information about you from other sources, including through Third-Party services and organizations to supplement information provided by you. For example, if you access our Services through a Third-Party application, such as an App Store or SNS, we may collect information about you from that Third-Party application that you have made public via your privacy settings. Information we collect through App Stores or SNS accounts may include your name, your SNS user identification number, your SNS user name, location, sex, birth date, email, profile picture, and your contacts on the SNS. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to us and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products, and Services.
3.2 How We Use Your Information
Our primary goals in collecting Personal Information are to provide and improve our Services, to administer your use of the Services (including your account, if you are a User), and to enable you to enjoy and easily navigate our Services. We acquire, hold, use, and Process Personal Information about Individuals for a variety of business purposes, including:
- To Provide Products, Services, or Information Requested. We may use information about you to fulfill requests for products, Services, or information, including information about potential or future Services, including to:
- Generally manage Individual information and Accounts;
- Respond to questions, comments, and other requests;
- Provide access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of our Services;
- Contact you to answer requests for customer support or technical support;
- Allow you to register for events.
- Administrative Purposes. We may use Personal Information about you for its administrative purposes, including to:
- Measure interest in our Services;
- Develop new products and Services;
- Ensure internal quality control;
- Verify Individual identity;
- Communicate about Individual accounts and activities on our Services and systems, and, in our discretion, changes to any Life on Air policy;
- Send email to the email address you provide to us to verify your Account and for informational and operational purposes, such as Account management, customer service, or system maintenance;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- Enforce our Terms.
- Marketing Our Products and Services. We may use Personal Information to provide you with materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services. We may provide you with these materials by phone, or email, as permitted by applicable law. Such uses include:
- To tailor content, advertisements, and offers;
- To notify you about offers, products, and services that may be of interest to you;
- To provide Services to you and our sponsors;
- For other purposes disclosed at the time that Individuals provide Personal Information; or
- Otherwise with your consent.
You may contact us at any time to opt-out of the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes, as further described in Section 5 below.
- Research and Development. We may use Personal Information to create non-identifiable information that we may use alone or in the aggregate with information obtained from other sources, in order to help us to optimally deliver our existing products and Services or develop new products and Services. From time to time, we may perform research (online and offline) via surveys. We may engage Third-Party service providers to conduct such surveys on our behalf. All survey responses are voluntary, and the information collected will be used for research and reporting purposes to help us better serve Individuals by learning more about their needs and the quality of the products and services we provide. The survey responses may be utilized to determine the effectiveness of our Services, various types of communications, advertising campaigns, and/or promotional activities. If an Individual participates in a survey, the information given will be used along with that of other study participants. We may share anonymous Individual and aggregate data for research and analysis purposes.
- Direct Mail, Email and Outbound Marketing. Individuals who provide us with Personal Information, or whose Personal Information we obtain from Third Parties, may receive periodic emails, newsletters, mailings, push notifications or text messages from us with information on our or our business partners’ products and services or upcoming special offers/events we believe may be of interest. We offer the option to decline these communications at no cost to the Individual by following the instructions in Section 5 below.
- Anonymous and Aggregated Information Use. We may use Personal Information and other information about you to create anonymized and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access our Services, or other analyses we create. Anonymized and aggregated information is used for a variety of functions, including the measurement of visitors’ interest in and use of various portions or features of the Services. Anonymized or aggregated information is not Personal Information, and we may use such information in a number of ways, including research, internal analysis, analytics, and any other legally permissible purposes. We may share this information within Life on Air and with Third Parties for our or their purposes in an anonymized or aggregated form that is designed to prevent anyone from identifying you.
- Sharing Content with Friends or Colleagues. Our Services may offer various tools and functionalities. For example, we allow you to provide information about your friends through our referral services, such as “Add a Friend.” Our referral services may allow you to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email or message inviting your friend to use our Services. Email addresses or phone numbers that you may provide for a friend or colleague will be used to send your friend or colleague the content or link you request, but will not be collected or otherwise used by us or any other Third Parties for any other purpose.
- Other Uses. We may use Personal Information for which we have a legitimate interest, such as direct marketing, individual or market research, anti-fraud protection, or any other purpose disclosed to you at the time you provide Personal Information or with your consent.
3.3 Cookies, Pixel Tags / Web Beacons, Analytics Information, Interest-Based Advertising, and Other Technologies
- Cookies. Cookies are small data files that are placed on your device’s hard disk when you access our Services. We may use both session Cookies and persistent Cookies to identify that you’ve logged in to the Services, to better understand how you interact with our Services, to monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing on our Services and to customize and improve our Services. Unlike persistent cookies, session Cookies are deleted when you log off from the Services. Most Internet browsers automatically accept Cookies. If you do not want cookies from Life On Air or other services, you can change your settings to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the services you visit. However, some Services may not function properly if you disable Cookies.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon, web bug, or clear GIFs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that may be included on our Services for several purposes, including to deliver or communicate with Cookies, to track and measure the performance of our Services, to monitor how many visitors view our Services, and to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising. Unlike Cookies, which are stored on the User’s hard drive, pixel tags are typically embedded invisibly on web pages (or in an e-mail).
- Analytics. We may also use Google Analytics and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on some of our Services, and to develop website content. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and Processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Log Data. Our servers automatically record information (“Log Data”) created by your use of the Services. Log Data may include information such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, location, your mobile carrier, device and application IDs, the Users with whom you video chat, access date and time spent on features of the Services and other statistics and Cookie information. We receive Log Data when you interact with our Services, for example, when you visit our websites, sign into our Services, participate in a video chat session, or interact with our email or push notifications. Life on Air uses Log Data to provide our Services and to measure, customize, and improve them. For instance, Life on Air may provide you with recommendations based on your use of the Services.
- Location Information. In addition to profile information, if you choose to enable your computer or mobile device to send us location information we may collect and store information about your location by converting your IP address into a rough geolocation or by accessing your computer’s or mobile device’s GPS coordinates or coarse location. We may use and store information about your location, to provide features of our Services, such as providing location specific filters, and to improve and customize the Services with Content that has been tagged near your location. If you do not want us to collect location information, you may disable that feature on your computer or mobile device.
Our uses of such Technologies fall into the following general categories:
If you would like to opt-out of the Technologies we employ on our sites, services, applications, or tools, you may do so by blocking, deleting, or disabling them as your browser or device permits.
3.4 Third-Party Websites, Social Media Platforms, and Software Development Kits
The Services may contain links to other websites and other websites may reference or link to our Site or other Services. We use Third-Party software development kits (“SDKs”), such as the Facebook SDK, as part of the functionality of our Services (e.g., to suggest friends from Facebook or other platforms for your addition to your app contact list). Third-Party SDKs may allow Third Parties including advertisers to collect your personal information to provide content that is more relevant to you. You may opt out of tracking by accessing the Third Party’s settings on your device and disabling the tracking function for that Third Party or by choosing not to enable such SDKs in the settings for our Services.
These other domains, websites and services are not controlled by us, and we do not endorse or make any representations about Third-Party websites or social media platforms. We encourage our Users to read the privacy policies of each and every website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting or connecting to these other websites, services or applications is at your own risk.
Our Services may contain private messaging features, links and interactive features with various social media platforms (e.g., widgets to suggest friends from Facebook or other platforms to add to your contacts). If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set on your device when using our Services. You should be aware that Personal Information which you voluntarily include and transmit online in a chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your information when interacting with a social media platform, and by using such services you assume the risk that the Personal Information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
4. Onward Transfer—We May Disclose Your Information
4.1 Information We Share
- Information Shared with other Users. As part of our Services, you may communicate with other Users through group video chat sessions or through messages.
- Video Chat. You will be able to participate in a group video chat session with your Connections and the Connections of any other User that is participating in a current session. Any Connection of a participant in a video chat session may join a chat session, with or without an invite from you and whether or not you know him or her. However, if a User that isn’t your Connection is about to join a video chat session you are in, you’ll receive a notice that such a participant is joining.
- Messages. You may also choose to send messages to other Users, whether or not they are your Connection.
- When you participate in a group video chat session or send a message, the content of your communications (including audio and video) will be visible and available to any User participating in that session or receiving a message. We encourage you to use your judgment in communicating and sharing information with other Users.
- Any other User may view your profile information on the Services, including your name, username and a list of your top Connections (i.e., who you speak to most often) on the Services, and your name or username may be displayed to other Users as a suggested Connection. In addition, if you are participating in a video chat session, any other User participating in that video chat session may be able to send a screenshot of the video chat to other Users that identifies your name and permits those other Users to add you as a Connection.
- In addition to your profile, your Connections will also be able to see the last time you were online, and your Connections (including a list of recent Connections).
- We are not responsible for privacy practices of the other users who will view and use the posted information.
- We Use Vendors and Service Providers. We may share any information we receive with vendors and service providers. The types of service providers (processors) to whom we entrust Personal Information include service providers for: (i) provision of IT and related services; (ii) provision of information and services you have requested; (iii) payment processing; (iv) customer service activities; and (v) in connection with the provision of the Services. We have executed appropriate contracts with the service providers that prohibit them from using or sharing Personal Information except as necessary to perform the contracted services on our behalf or to comply with applicable legal requirements.
- Business Partners. We may share Personal Information with our business partners, and affiliates for our and our affiliates’ internal business purposes or to provide you with a product or service that you have requested. We may also provide Personal Information to business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services we believe may be of interest to you. In such cases, our business partner’s name will appear, along with us. We require our affiliates and business partners to agree in writing to maintain the confidentiality and security of Personal Information they maintain on our behalf and not to use it for any purpose other than the purpose for which we provided them.
- Disclosures to Protect Us or Others (e.g., as Required by Law and Similar Disclosures). We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other Account information, and content if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to: (i) comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) respond to your requests; (iii) protect yours’, ours’ or others’ rights, property, or safety; (iv) to enforce our policies or contracts; (v) to collect amounts owed to us; (vi) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vii) if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable.
In addition, from time to time, server logs may be reviewed for security purposes – e.g., to detect unauthorized activity on the Services. In such cases, server log data containing IP addresses may be shared with law enforcement bodies in order that they may identify Users in connection with their investigation of the unauthorized activities.
4.2 Data Transfers
All Personal Information collected via or by Life on Air may be stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the United States, the European Union and other international jurisdictions, in the cloud, on our servers, on the servers of our affiliates or the servers of our service providers. Your Personal Information may be accessible to law enforcement or other authorities pursuant to a lawful request. By providing information to us, you consent to the storage of your Personal Information in these locations.
5. Opt-Out (Right to Restrict Processing)
You have the right to opt out of certain uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. Where you have consented to our Processing of your Personal Information or Sensitive Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and opt-out to further Processing by contacting email@example.com. Even if you opt-out, we may still collect and use non-Personal Information regarding your activities on our Services and/or information from the advertisements on Third-Party websites for non-interest based advertising purposes, such as to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.
5.2 Email and Telephone Communications
We maintain “do-not-mail” lists as mandated by law. We process requests to be placed on do-not-mail and do-not-contact lists within 60 days after receipt, or such shorter time as may be required by law.
5.3 Mobile or Other Devices
We may occasionally send you push notifications through our mobile and desktop applications with updates, messages, promotions and other notices that may be of interest to you. You may at any time opt-out from receiving these types of communications by changing the settings on your mobile or other device. We may also collect location-based information if you use our mobile applications. You may opt-out of this collection by changing the settings on your mobile or other device.
5.4 “Do Not Track”
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that Users can set in certain web browsers. DNT is a way for Users to inform websites and services that they do not want certain information about their webpage visits collected over time and across websites or online services. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
6. Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure, and Restriction
Although we make good faith efforts to provide Individuals with access to their Personal Information, there may be circumstances in which we are unable to provide access, including but not limited to: where the information contains legal privilege, would compromise others’ privacy or other legitimate rights, where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the Individual’s privacy in the case in question or where it is commercially proprietary. If we determine that access should be restricted in any particular instance, we will provide you with an explanation of why that determination has been made and a contact point for any further inquiries. To protect your privacy, we will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to or making any changes to your Personal Information.
7. Data Retention
8. Security of Your Information
By using the Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on or via the Services or sending an e-mail to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing.
9. International Users
If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, please note that you are agreeing to the transfer of your information to the United States and to Processing of your data globally. By providing your Personal Information, you consent to any transfer and Processing in accordance with this Policy.
10. Children’s Privacy
The Services are not directed to children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13 years of age. If you are under the age of 13 you must have your parent’s permission to access the Services. We urge parents to instruct their children never to give out their real names, addresses, or phone numbers, without parental permission, when online. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13 without verifiable parental consent, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
11. Redress / Compliance and Accountability
12. Other Rights and Important Information
- New Uses of Personal Information. Additionally, before we use Personal Information for any new purpose not originally authorized by you, we will endeavor to provide information regarding the new purpose and give you the opportunity to opt-out. Where consent of the Individual for the Processing of Personal Information is otherwise required by law or contract, we will endeavor to comply with the law or contract.
12.2 California Privacy Rights
California law permits Users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the Third Parties to whom we have disclosed their Personal Information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of Personal Information disclosed to those parties. We do not share Personal Information with Third Parties for their own marketing purposes.
The following capitalized terms shall have the meanings herein as set forth below.
- “Agent” means any Third Party that Processes Personal Information pursuant to the instructions of, and solely for, Life on Air or to which Life on Air discloses Personal Information for use on its behalf.
- “Personal Information” is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Individual”).
- “Process” or “Processing” means any operation which is performed upon Personal Information, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure, or destruction.
- “Sensitive Data” or “Sensitive Personal Information” is a subset of Personal Information which, due to its nature, has been classified by law or by policy as deserving additional privacy and security protections. Sensitive Personal Information includes Personal Information regarding EU residents that is classified as a “Special Category of Personal Data” under EU law, which consists of the following data elements: (1) race or ethnic origin; (2) political opinions; (3) religious or philosophical beliefs; (4) trade union membership; (5) genetic data; (6) biometric data where Processed to uniquely identify a person; (6) health information; (7) sexual orientation or information about the Individual’s sex life; or (8) information relating to the commission of a criminal offense.
- “Third Party” is any company, natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or body other than the Individual, Life on Air or Life on Air’s Agents.